I’ve determined to resume the blog.
It’s good to take a break from things sometimes, even things you love… It gives you a different perspective and it keeps you grounded, even if the choice to step away isn’t really yours… If you don’t, you run the risk of becoming some tool whos so caught up in your own stuff you forget about what youre even doing in the first place.
I’ve had some time away from writing anything “public”, just my own journals and such, and it’s given me time to ask some questions about this blog and just writing in general… I considered changing things up and letting the blog fall to the side for a bit, but I think I need to keep it going… Questions I’ve been chewing on?
1. Why write at all? Writing for me is therapy. I don’t sit down to write because I’ve got some huge issue on my heart that I just need to share with the world, I sit down to write because I need to write… the same as when I get home from work and I fall on the sofa and grab my guitar, it’s not that I’ve got some song I need to sing, I just need to feel the strings at my fingertips and the hum of the wood against my chest and hear the intonation and the chords and spend a moment just letting go and creating something that didn’t exist before I sat down, and will never exist again. Writing is like that for me also.. it’s letting a part of my mind go lose and paint with words in a way that it doesn’t get to in any other area of life… sometimes I sit down to write and I don’t even have anything to write about! Just like playing guitar without having any specific song to play… it’s just the process of creating.
2. Why write a blog? When I was in college I would take a guitar and go sit in the front yard of the dorm and play for hours. I wasn’t performing for anyone and it didn’t matter if anyone else even noticed me, but I enjoyed it and from time to time someone else would show up with a guitar or mandolin or something and play along. Before long we could have several playing along together, maybe a group would gather to listen.. those were some of the best memories I have from college. This blog is my front yard. Maybe nobody will ever notice what I write, but maybe, just maybe, someone will walk past and decide to join in, maybe lots of people would join in, or even just read and enjoy.
3. Who is the blog for? It’s for anyone interested in the conversation, either joining or observing. I’m not writing this to convince anyone of anything, to impress anyone, to prove anyone right or wrong. I purposely ask questions and raise alternative ideas to encourage thought and discussion, so I guess this blog is for people like me, who want to teach and yet be challenged at the same time…. people who realize they don’t know everything but really wish they could! I’m not ashamed of my faith or my view of the world, and since that will influence everything I write, I make no apologies about it being a central aspect of the blog. When you read what I write, you get me, 100% me, not some scrubbed, polished, politically correct revision of me. I don’t have a publisher to bow to and the blog is free so it’s not like I’m going to lose business by saying something controversial, so the blog is for anyone who wants to read and discuss. If you want to argue, take it elsewhere. If you want to discuss and occasionally agree to disagree but keep on talking, welcome!
4. Whats the purpose of the blog? The Beautiful Ending is about life. The good and the bad, the happy and the sad, and everything that makes us feel human. I see to much “fake” in the world, everything is about advertising and trying to sell something… this blog is meant to make people think about everything beneath the wrappers, even the truth about whats behind our own images that we try to sell to the world. It’s about refocusing our conversations, our attention, even our lives on something bigger and brighter and more beautiful than we are, and chasing it down.
5. Where do I want to blog to lead? I haven’t answered that one yet.. I’m hoping to sort that out along the way.. If it leads to something else that’s great, if it fizzles any nobody ever reads it, that’s ok too… I guess we’ll see what happens.
That’s all I’ve got for today… thanks for coming back and checking things out! If you like the blog, keep coming back! Sign up for the email list so you don’t miss anything, and if you know anyone else who might enjoy reading, be sure to send them over! In the spirit of spring and making things new I’ll be changing up some of the look, feel and format of the blog, but never fear, it will still be me!
Grace & Peace friends.